April 11, 2016

WELCOME TO INDIA



A month ago today I was leaving for India! I can't believe how fast time flies. It seemed like I was there and back in a blink of an eye. I wanted to spend some time thinking and reflecting on my trip before I wrote this post, and get through some other trips too (read about Paris HERE). I decided to break this trip up into a few posts so that I could speak about my trip more thoroughly. Just so you have an idea I went from Delhi to Agra to Delhi to Jodhpur to Bangalore and home again. All together I spent 12 days there.


I left in the wee hours of Friday morning where my flight took me from Newcastle to Paris and then Paris to Dehli. I finally arrived in India at about midnight on Saturday. I have to say I had a pretty solid journey , Air France took good care of me and I would highly recommend their premium economy if you can swing it. It was worth the extra coins. My awesome friends Paulina and Celete met me at the airport and we took a cab back to the hotel which was about a 45 minute drive from the airport. Once we got to the hotel we quickly washed up and hit the sack as it was about 2AM and we would be leaving for Agra at 9:30 in the AM. The trip to Agra, where the Taj Mahal is located is about a 4 hour drive. We were able to get a driver to take us there where we would be spending a couple days. I think in total we each paid a whopping 12 quid, yes you read that right. It cost just  about 50 quid TOTAL for a round trip. I have an entire post dedicated to the Taj and Agra coming up next, so I am just going to give you some of my first impressions.
  • If Delhi had a designated sound it would be "HONK" because it seems like that is all I heard in my time there. It is so loud all the time.
  • Come with no expectations, I feel like I read all the blogs and got lots of facts but I still wasn't prepared for the things I saw. Just enter the space as humbly as you can. 
  • There are 14 official languages of India with each having its own dialect. I had no idea. 
  • People stare, ALOT and often but just smile and keep it moving. For the most part people are respectful but don't be afraid to buck if you need to. 
  • Everything is a strange kind of organized chaos , there are limited, if any street lights and literally a million cars, motorcycles, tuk tuks, people and livestock trying to share the road. 
  • Haggle to get deals, I am sure I would have gotten played a few times if it wasn't for Celete and Paulina but things were SO cheap it was hard to decipher what was an accurate price. 100 rupees = just about 1 quid (which is just about $1.50)










No comments:

Post a Comment